End of CW contacts as we know them?

End of CW contacts as we know them?

Postby N5JEH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 am

A new FT8 DX contest mode (yet to be released) Looks like this might be the last Nail in the CW coffin.

https://dx-world.net/ft8-dxpedition-mod ... ition-mode

If you can't reach this site Just do a search for FT8 DX contest mode.

Ed N5JEH
N5JEH

Re: End of CW contacts as we know them?

Postby WB2FKO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am

WSJT-X still requires a computer and a pretty decent one at that. This has hindered adoption in portable/ rover operations because it presents a significant complication for them. Aside from that, I don’t see cw disappearing from the bands anytime soon, primarily because there are still many, many ops who despise the digital modes. They would rather tear down their stations before embracing digital. I think FT8 makes a lot of sense for DX-petitions, but the end of cw is still a long, long ways away.
WB2FKO

Postby K8TE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I agree Mike. While FT-8 popularity is skyrocketing, CW still plays an important role, especially in working DX. The QSO rate is way higher for CW which drives DXpedtions to continue using that mode. However, I'm adding FT-8 to my DX "quiver" for those times when I can't get through on CW. The rest of the time, I'll avoid using FT-8 since, as I was told in a message from a friend just today, "It's mind-numbing!"
K8TE

Postby N5JEH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Not being active on HF, my comments are about the VHF bands. The last DX openings to JA and VK/ZL there were no cw signals on 6 meters when dozens of FT8 And JT65 contacts were being made. It has changed VHF weak signal operating.
JIMHO.

ed n5jeh
N5JEH

Postby WB2FKO » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 pm

In the recent January VHF contest, I was the guest op at W7QQ and was responsible for running the digital modes on 6m. When the meteors fizzled out on Sunday afternoon, I decided to swing the beam around to look for FT8 signals. To my great surprise, I began seeing weak traces from completely inaudible signals coming from the west coast. The band was open enough to complete just a few QSOS, but I’m convinced this would never have been possible on cw. This also seems to corroborate the claim of N5JEH that 6m is often open — just barely — during the times of the year that we don’t traditionally get Es. FT8 seems to be very well suited for 6m and I expect it to largely displace cw on that band pretty quickly.
WB2FKO

Return to General Discussion